To help make your event go ‘with a swing’ read on…
· If it is a ‘ticketed’ event, sell tickets prior to the dance to publicise it. Use your organisation to promote sales of tickets.
· Put out posters in good time (at least a fortnight before the dance).
· Organise refreshments – food and drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) – you will need a licence if you intend to sell alcoholic drinks, other alternatives are bring your own (don’t forget to mention on the ticket!) or soft drinks/teas.
· Have a break halfway through with refreshments (pasties or sandwiches are ideal) or ‘bring a plate’/’pot lock’ if you are fund-raising.
· Other ideas for extra fund-raising – organise a raffle during the break (if you sell tickets during the event, you will not need a licence).
· Although not essential, some decorations in the hall can help to create a good atmosphere – e.g. lights, ribbons, balloons or greenery, or even fancy dress!
Newlyn Reelers circa 1988